One of the most popular interpretations of this technique is the 4-7-8 breathing method, which is a breathing pattern that is developed and popularised by Dr. Adrew Weil, a Harvard trained medical doctor with a focus on holistic health.
How to do the 4-7-8 breathing exercise?
The 7simple steps to falling asleep fast using the breathing exercise:
1. Take a comfortable position.
2. Place the tip of your tongue against the backside of your upper teeth.
3. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a ‘shhhhh’ sound.
4. Inhale quietly through your nose for 4 seconds, with your mouth closed.
5. Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
6. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a ‘shhhhh’ sound for 8 seconds
7. Repeat this breathing process for around 4 times, making you complete 4 breathing cycles.
In the video below, Dr. Andrew Weil describes how to do the exercise.
Some people may find it hard to keep their breath in for 7 seconds, and make you feel light-headed. A small note is that you can do this exercise with a smaller amount of counts, within the same ratio.
You could use a 3 - 5 - 6 breathing pattern, or a 2 - 3,5 - 4 for example. This will give you about the same effect.
Small tips when doing this exercise:
Keep the tongue on your upper teeth while breathing out.