One of the most popular interpretations of this technique is the 4-7-8 breathing method, which is a breathing pattern that is developed and popularised by Dr. Adrew Weil, a Harvard trained medical doctor with a focus on holistic health.
How to do the 4-7-8 breathing exercise?
The 7simple steps to falling asleep fast using the breathing exercise:
1. Take a comfortable position.
2. Place the tip of your tongue against the backside of your upper teeth.
3. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a ‘shhhhh’ sound.
4. Inhale quietly through your nose for 4 seconds, with your mouth closed.
5. Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
6. Exhale completely through your mouth, making a ‘shhhhh’ sound for 8 seconds
7. Repeat this breathing process for around 4 times, making you complete 4 breathing cycles.
In the video below, Dr. Andrew Weil describes how to do the exercise.
Some people may find it hard to keep their breath in for 7 seconds, and make you feel light-headed. A small note is that you can do this exercise with a smaller amount of counts, within the same ratio.
You could use a 3 - 5 - 6 breathing pattern, or a 2 - 3,5 - 4 for example. This will give you about the same effect.
Small tips when doing this exercise:
Keep the tongue on your upper teeth while breathing out.
Do this exercise around 2 to 3 times a day, to maximize the chances of this technique working.
Succes or still have trouble falling asleep?
After using this technique, you will hopefully gain success falling asleep faster. If you have any success using this breathing exercise, please let us know in the comments below!
The Somnox Sleep Robot helps you tofall asleepfaster, sleep longer and wake up more refreshed.Are you curious what the Somnox Sleep Robot can do for you? We will explain you all the benefits and answer any questions you may have.